Hosting again

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Sun Nov 4 20:34:44 GMT 2007

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 08:04:29PM +0000, Dave Cantrell said:
> Whoever told you that is either a fool, a liar, or has only ever used
> really shitty hardware RAID.  Good hardware is manageable and will have
> monitoring software available.

Quick question for my hardware-fu is weak.

A friend of mine had hardware RAID set up in some form and then the
controller went kapoof and despite the fact that the data was
theoretically all still intact he claimed he was unable to retrieve it.

Does this sound feasible? And, if so, was there a way to mitigate it?