Hosting again

Martin A. Brooks martin at
Sun Nov 4 23:16:29 GMT 2007

Jonathan Rockway wrote:
> I've heard of that happening with cheap consumer RAID.  The idea is that you
> can't find identical replacement hardware, and therefore your data becomes
> unreadable because the hardware stores data on the disks in some sort of
> unknown way.

In that event, you'd be restoring from your backups.

>  That's why I would stick with software RAID on my desktop
> system... no reliance on some random Chinese vendor's RAID algorithm du jour;

My only objection to software RAID, and I totally accept this is an edge
case, is that it stops working when the operating system does.

 Martin A. Brooks | | Anti-spam & anti-virus
    Consultant    |  martin at      | filtering. Inoculate  |  m: +447896578023           | your mail system.