OT: It's arrived!

Lyle - CosmicPerl.com perl at cosmicperl.com
Mon Nov 5 14:25:46 GMT 2007

Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 11:18:54AM +0000, Matt S Trout wrote:
> [...]
>
>> It's become extremely obvious that you aren't one, so you either need to
>> start paying one or you need to tell your hosting customers they should
>> move elsewhere if they care about their websites. (note: I'm not a
>> sysadmin either - guess what Shadowcat's first hire was ...)
>>

> Having done both Perl dev and sysadmin jobs, I'd just like to note that a
> good Perl hacker can be a good sysadmin too without a vast amount of effort.

Thank you. Like the way I picked up Learning Perl and Intermediate Perl
to skim through gaps in my Perl knowledge, would you recommend a book or
maybe site that I could skim through to fill gaps in my sysadmin knowledge?
> However, I'd also like to note that one person should do one or the other
> job. The Perl stuff takes up 90% of your time, and the sysadmin stuff takes
> up the other 90%.

Unfortunately most my time is taken up by dealing with customers and
general running of the business. I don't get as much chance to develop
and code as I'd like.

Lyle