OT: It's arrived!

Bob Walker bob at randomness.org.uk
Tue Nov 6 23:21:47 GMT 2007

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Dean Wilson wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 02:25:46PM +0000, Lyle - CosmicPerl.com wrote:
>> would you recommend a book or maybe site that I could skim through to
>> fill gaps in my sysadmin knowledge?

grow a beard. all sysadmins need a beard.

> 'The Practise of System and Network Administration' (2nd edition is out)
> and 'Blueprints for High Availability' are both good for getting the
> mindset right. At the moment I'm reading (and enjoying) 'Security
> Metrics'. None of those are tech books as such.
> Beyond that it depends on what areas you actually have an interest in.
> - Curtis Preston for backups.
> - Evi Nemeth and Aeleen Frisch for Linux/Unix books that compare OS to OS and distro to distro
> - Stevens and Radia Perlman for networking (Craig Hunt is also quite good)

and dont be afraid to play with things. if you dont break it. you wont
learn. books are great. practice is better.

> Then you get to dive in to OS / tool level books. Or you go along the path
> of the DBA. Or SAN expert. Or V12N. Or... It's a big world.

or not. nowt wrong with being a genralist. ( well apart from the possibly
smaller pay packets)

> And that's not even mentioning Windows, VMS or anything else niche like
> that ;)

vms admins have the best beards.

>  Dean
> PS I don't have a clue when it comes to OSX or Novell. Always avoided both.

os/2 ?

Bob Walker
http://london.randomness.org.uk - http://tech.randomness.org.uk
http://rwc.randomness.org.uk    - http://londonjoinery.com
for great beery justice!        - meh! bah! indeeed!