USENET++ (was: OT: It's arrived!)

Andy Wardley abw at wardley.org
Thu Nov 8 11:38:50 GMT 2007

Randy J. Ray wrote:
> I haven't considered unsubscribing, but I find myself wistful for the "kill
> thread" functionality of USENET newsreaders I've used in the past...

I miss USENET.  It's still there, of course, but discussion on topics of
interest to me have moved from USENET to various web forums, blogs, etc.
It's all horribly fragmented now.

Wouldn't it be nice to have the web equivalent of a global killfile?  You
could go to any web site forum, blog, etc., and rest assured that you would
never see messages/comments from any *plonked* lusers.

On a similar vein, I'd also like a global web site/domain killfile.  So I
would never have to see another link to nytimes.com on Reddit, or links to
expertsexchange.com in Google results, for example.

Yes, I know about Greasemonkey.  That helps on a site-by-site basis, but it's
not really a generic solution.