OT: It's arrived!

Adrian Howard adrianh at quietstars.com
Thu Nov 8 12:06:01 GMT 2007

On 7 Nov 2007, at 09:44, Bob Walker wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, Edmund von der Burg wrote:
>
>> On 06/11/2007, Bob Walker <bob at randomness.org.uk> wrote:
>>> indeed. for instance it is always instructive at one point in
>>> your career
>>> to actually see what happens when you do "rm -rf /". (As a
>>> sysadmin it
>>> took an awful lot of willpower to actually type that anywhere near a
>>> terminal)
>>
>> I tend to type that as '/path/to/file' + Ctrl-a + 'rm -rf ' since I
>> was once doing a bit of admin when the cat walked on the keyboard at
>> exactly the wrong time.
>
> which yet again proves how evil cats are.

In the dim and distant past when I was doing my A level CS course our
cat knocked two boxes of 5.25 floppies on to the floor one night and
then proceeded to trash the original and the backup of my project
(and nothing else). Four weeks work down the drain. Thus teaching me
the wisdom of off-site backups :-)

Adrian