Dongley

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Fri Dec 7 11:35:05 GMT 2007

The latest Dashboard update for the Xbox 360 allows FAT32 USB drives to
be plugged into it.

What I'd really like is something that could act as a USB HD but
would also have a network connection (wired or wireless is fine) so that
content on it can be manipulated by real machines.

Bonus points if it's easily upgradeable/expandable especially if it can
take other USB drives and mount them into it's file tree somewhere.

Of course one possibility would be to build a Linux box that does this
but I'd really prefer drag'n'drool functionality and instant on and I
have no idea how to make Linux pretend to be a disk drive.

Does such a beast exist?

I think the Buffalo TeraStation does similar but they're not cheap (not
that expensive either but not cheap) and I was wondering if there was a
ghetto solution out there.