Speed limit signs

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 16:28:20 GMT 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 4:36 PM, Nigel Rantor <wiggly at wiggly.org> wrote:
> Well, more ideal would be cars that self-limit to the current speed
> limit.

So you're no longer sure whether you can safely overtake the car in
front of you since you're not sure how much speed reserve you have -
depending, for example, on how well the limiter and your speedometer
agree on the current speed.

> And won't go when the traffic light is red.

Does this mean "won't start up from a standstill if the light is red"
or the stronger "will come to a halt if the light is red"? How hard
will it apply the brakes to ensure this? Who will pay for accidents
caused by cars piling up at your back because your car suddenly braked
for a red light?

This kind of taking control away from the driver seems like a recipe
for trouble, accidents, and/or lawsuits to me.

Cheers,
--
Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com>