Wide character in syswrite

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Tue Dec 11 17:47:17 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 17:35 +0000, Matt Lawrence wrote:
> Ah. The RFC says it wants UTF-8 [1], so I would guess the right thing to
> do is to Encode::decode('UTF-8', ...) before passing into the module.

Sorry for the double post, but it should be encode, not decode.  decode
decodes encoded octets (from the network, etc.) into perl characters.
encode encodes perl characters to something that other systems can
understand, like UTF-8.  (Yes, perl uses utf8 internally, but that is an
irrelevant detail that will make broken code appear to work sometimes.
Best if you think of it in terms of perl characters vs. The Real World.)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway