Routers (again?)

MacGyveR macgyver at thedumbterminal.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 21:10:06 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 12 December 2007 12:31, Aaron Crane wrote:
> Alistair McGlinchy writes:
> > > Does _anybody_ manufacture wireless ADSL routers which can be
> > > plugged in, configured, and then ignored for a year?
> >
> > <gloat>
> > Cisco 837-K9. I bought it Dec 2004. I had to reboot it about 3 months
> > ago.  It was working fine, but I noticed the SNMP counters were
> > getting screwed up. It had been up for more than 2^32 centi-seconds
> > == 497 days.
> > </gloat>
>
> Nice.
>
> My next question: does anybody manufacture wireless ADSL routers which
> can be plugged in, configured, and then ignored for a year, and sell
> them at no more than, say, £100 retail?

get yourself the cheapest adsl modem you can find from ebay, they tend not to
have the "advanced" firewall features that cause a few of the linksys modems
to mess up, its worth trying.

i have a linksys AG241V2 which has been connected for 487 days running web and
email server traffic, but have seen new models give a similar problem to what
you're having.