Computing power analogies

Steve Mynott steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 13 12:40:47 GMT 2007

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 12:40:16PM +0000, Edmund von der Burg typed:

> Could someone please suggest something more everydayish that I can use
> in my analogies. Basically fill in the blank in the following
> sentence:
>
>   "Well Grand-Ma, this new iPhone thing is as powerful as ..................."

Hans "Strong AI" Moravec compares the "mental power" of computers to animals.

His (10 year old) graph of MIPS versus Megabytes is at

<http://www.transhumanist.com/volume1/moravec.htm>

And google suggests the iPhone ARM processor has about 900 MIPS and
a few 1000 meg.

"Well Grand-Ma, this new iPhone thing is as powerful as a spider!"

--
Steve Mynott <steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk>