Speed limit signs (was: Computing power analogies)

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Sun Dec 16 20:38:20 GMT 2007

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 03:13:04PM +0000, Edmund von der Burg wrote:

> The ideal tech solution would be for the little sat navs everyone now
> seems to have to compare your speed to the speed limit and make little
> tutting noises if you're going a little too fast, through to full
> panic gibbering when doing 90 past a school.

Mine does at least show me my current speed and the speed limit, but the
text is too damned small to read.  It also shows the limit (at a much
more readable size) on the moving map when I'm approaching a camera.
I'd probably turn a constant audible warning off for being too annoying.

> However this might not be considered a feature by many :)

Surely anything that helps people stick to the speed limit, which has
been imposed entirely for reasons of safety, in an area* so dangerous that
safety cameras were installed, has got to be a good thing.

* that area being apparently the whole of the UK now, except for the bit
  of the M23 between the M25 and the northern end of the motorway, where
  there are no cameras, no traffic, and a fuckload of nice wide road on
  which one can make zoom.

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed
 (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an
 endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary"  -- H. L. Mencken