Speed limit signs (was: Computing power analogies)

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Thu Jan 3 18:10:01 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 05:24:27PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 05:51:19PM +0100, Abigail wrote:
> > [...] Unless you can't see the difference between white and red, or
> > flashing and not flashing. In which case, you shouldn't drive.
>
> I'm colourblind. Red traffic lights are those which are not green. After
> all, what do you assume if you can't see anything lit on a traffic light?
>
> So far nobody's needed to scrape me and my bike out from under a bus that
> was coming the other way.

I certainly do hope you can see the difference between flashing and
non-flashing. ;-)

Now, I haven't heard of a colour blindness that can't distingish between
a bright white and a dark red, but you can select an array of different
colour schemes, including grays.

And, as a last ditch effort, it also has the option to turn off the map
above a certain speed. A bit drastic, but you could use it to warn you
if you drive too fast. (Needs some retuning each time the speed limit
changes, but you could use a battery of satnavs, each tuned to a different
speed).

Abigail