Hostnames as Bash Commands

Pedro Figueiredo me at pedrofigueiredo.org
Fri Jan 4 19:00:18 GMT 2008

On 1/4/08, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:

> There are lots of ways of doing things like this.  I wasn't suggested
> that what I came up with was the best behaviour for anybody else, nor
> that it's the only (or even best) way of implementing that behaviour.

cool, just like me, then.

> > (.bash_profile):
> >
> > # 1 hostname per line
> > HOSTFILE=~/.hosts
>
> That involves manually updating a list of hosts that I might want to SSH
> to; mine and Bob's configurations automatically pick that up from
> previous SSH activity.

not that i thought about it before, but this can be easily generated
from known_hosts.

> In fact my implementation relies on you already having extended Bash
> completion for the ssh command (since it uses its _known_hosts
> function), but getting the list of hostnames from other files that are
> lying around anyway.

actually, isn't this function distro-specific? my config works
everywhere there's bash.

cheers,

pedro
--
http://pedrofigueiredo.org/
"you don't code php. you merely edit it until it works." - merlyn