Living the Metaphor

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Fri Jan 18 22:22:20 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 22:58 +0100, Adam Bartosik wrote:
> 2008/1/18, Jeff Anderson <captvanhalen at gmail.com>:
> > On Jan 18, 2008 2:34 PM, Adam Bartosik <moldovenu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Yeap, Cata-market is growing. This is must-be, all CGI apps are going die... ;)
> >
> > Ever heard of that "dead" language called COBOL?
>
> Did you see smile at the end...? I hope perl is not going to be next
> version of cobol... however it should be good for old, perl geeks.
> Apropiate salaries, young people only in rb/py/php/whatever ;)

Well, the difference between COBOL and Perl is that Perl has all the
features as any other modern programming language.  So while Perl may be
used for a lot of "legacy" stuff, it's competitive with newer languages
like Python and Ruby (although those aren't exactly brand-new).

COBOL is ... not competitive with anything other than INTERCAL.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway