Most Perl 6 will look like Perl 5

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Fri Jan 25 07:51:14 GMT 2008

* Ovid (publiustemp-londonpm at yahoo.com) [080124 23:09]:
> Actually, have you read the article "And now for something completely
> similar" by Damian?  I can't find a copy online right now, but for most
> folks, Perl 6 really isn't changing that much.  For example, this:
>
>   my $is_ok = 1;
>   for my $t (0 .. 6) {
>       if ( abs($new[$t]-$new[$t+1]) > 3) {
>
> Becomes this:
>
>   my $is_ok = 1;
>   for 0..6 -> $t {
>       if abs(@new[$t] - @new[$t+1]) > 3 {
>
> In short, with very few changes, Perl 6 will be completely
> comprehensible to Perl 5 programmers.  (You can even add in the extra
> parentheses, if you like)

IMO, both your examples are readible to any programmer, not only
Perl programmers.  But reading is not writing.

While giving Perl trainings, I always see people struggle with the
parenthesis and the sigils: to get them exactly correct.  Well, the
reasoning behind those has changed a lot. Although it is only one
character difference in the program, you will make mistakes for quite
some time.

Besides, the whole function call, OO and Regular Expression (Grammar)
syntax is different.  Why are all these "completely similar" examples
small with imperative programming style?

Perl6 is a nice new language, stealing many ideas from Perl5
--
Regards,
               MarkOv

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net