Most Perl 6 will look like Perl 5

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Fri Jan 25 12:57:37 GMT 2008

* Jonathan Stowe (jns at gellyfish.com) [080125 12:27]:
> On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 13:07 +0100, Mark Overmeer wrote:
> > * Abigail (abigail at abigail.be) [080125 11:09]:
> > > Even something simple as C<< $hash {key} >> requires THREE changes, it
> > > will now become C<< %hash{'key'} >>.
> >
> > Actually, you have three more alternatives:  (See S02)
> >   %hash<key>
> >   %hash.<key>
> >   %hash .<key>
>
> This is the sound of me pulling on a dirndl skirt and looking for a
> ready supply of goats ...

Actually, these syntaxes aren't all that bad, nor too horribly redundant.
Consequently,  <xxx> has taken the place of the q() construct in Perl5.

The dotted versions are available because all variables in Perl6
are also real objects; the dot is the field access via the "method
call" interface.
--
               MarkOv

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net