Most Perl 6 will look like Perl 5

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Fri Jan 25 16:46:42 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 01:56:16PM +0000, Dave Cross wrote:
> >Maybe, but once you explain to them that the sigil relates to the type
> >you want to be returned, the ones I've taught have certainly "got it"
> >in short order.
>
> I'd love to see how you do that.
>
> I mean, I can certainly get a room full of beginners to understand it.
> And even to remember to do it at the right time. But they still all
> look at me as though I'm playing some kind of sick joke on them.

It's definitely one of those features that raises the bar in Perl.  I
always had the feeling that much or most of the Perl community likes
things that way, as a mechanism for sifting out those who are only fit
to write webforum software in PHP.

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing.  Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin