Most Perl 6 will look like Perl 5

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Fri Jan 25 18:15:18 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 05:07:39PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:00:28PM -0500, Jeff Anderson wrote:
> [...]
> > *raises hand -- My only gripe here is that i didn't want to have to switch
> > to another language to get a few new features.
>
> I expect that Perl 5.12, 5.14, ... will be plundering Perl6 for anything
> interesting and useful.

Great, I'd say. The more, the better.

But the perl5 track tries to be backwards compatible. No matter how
many features of Perl6 will make it into 5.12 or 5.14, I do not have
to change my coding style - I'll be able to take or leave the features.

That's quite different if you have to switch to a different language
like Python, Java or Perl6.

Abigail