Most Perl 6 will look like Perl 5

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 13:36:53 GMT 2008

On 29/01/2008, Aidan Samuel <aidan.samuel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2008 8:03 AM, Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> wrote:
> >
> > Or even, how about writing your own language?  Then it can work exactly
> > how you want!  It's even in the "Design Patterns" book.  Enterprisey!
> >

> It seems like opinions are strongly polarised on the perl 5/6 issue.

It's not a  5 vs 6 issue. It's a "some of us would like perl 6 to be
more like perl 5, in particular the bit's we're individually most
comfortable with, while different in the bit's that have annoyed us"
thing.

> Will this lead to two versions of perl being maintained, cpan module
> authors taking side, confusion to outsiders, and hence the eventual
> demise of perl?

In a word, no.

It's always been advertised that you will be able to mix both
together, so perl 6 can use perl 5 cpan modules, and vice versa (I
think)

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk