Most Perl 6 will look like Perl 5

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Tue Jan 29 17:03:39 GMT 2008

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 05:45:12PM +0100, Philip Newton wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2008 4:10 PM, Aidan Samuel <aidan.samuel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If a large minority (or small majority) of perl5 developers stay
> > behind and refuse to accept perl6, we could end up with 50% of cpan
> > modules being developed for 5, and 50% with 6 in mind.
>
> That's assuming that perl6 modules end up on CPAN and not on CP6AN or
> The Vaults of Archimedes or the Perl6 Extension and Application
> Repository or Perl6Forge or something.

Well, CPAN post-dates Perl 4, and there is some Perl 4 on it, so it's not
C"Perl 5"AN. CPAN is merely a mirror network that replicates disks, and
Perl 6 is going to have to load modules from disk, so I don't see a mismatch
there either. I'd bet that if if a file somehow ends up finding itself at
or below ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/CPAN/ then it will soon find itself mirrored.

So I'm guessing it will be a cultural thing on the part of Perl 6 authors as
to whether they upload their modules there. If they think that Perl 6 is Perl
then it would seem inconsistent not to.

So I assume that they will.

Nicholas Clark