Most Perl 6 will look like Perl 5

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 19:56:24 GMT 2008

Jonathan Rockway wrote:
> Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk> writes:
>
>>> It's always been advertised that you will be able to mix both
>>> together, so perl 6 can use perl 5 cpan modules, and vice versa (I
>>> think)
>> That will be a very clever trick if it comes off. Particularly with
>> all those XS based CPAN modules.
>
> It's not that clever.  You can embed Perl5 in any program.  That's how
> the mechanism in Pugs works, BTW, and it's apparently good enough to use
> DBI.

Well, it would be. It's embedded perl5, got nothing to do with perl6 at
all - other than any XS shims/internal pugs magic it needs to pass
variables back and forth (probably rather slowly, all things considered).

So we have something we *can* agree on here. Perl5 support in pugs/perl6
  (not clear whether it's both or just pugs) isn't very clever - at all.