Most Perl 6 will look like Perl 5

jesse jesse at fsck.com
Wed Jan 30 16:27:08 GMT 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 11:10:04AM -0500, Jeff Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Nicholas Clark <nick at ccl4.org> wrote:
> >  > And Perl 6 is going to be released when?
> >
> >  In the future, when it's ready.
>
> Then you won't mind me pointing out the arse talking that has been
> going on for 6 years now. :) I mean, at this point we should be
> talking about Perl 7.

So, what have _you_ done to help Perl 6 get done sooner?  You're hardly
the first and won't be the last to take seeming glee in the fact that
Perl 6 didn't spring fully formed from Larry's head overnight with a
neat set of implementations hiding in a convenient cabbage patch.
Personally, I feel that the big announcement at the beginning was a
horrible mistake, but one that's been more than made up for by a heck of
a lot of hard work and deep thought, if only the peanut gallery would
let the language designers and implementers alone to do what they're
doing.

So yes, please start talking about Perl 7 and let the folks actually
working on Perl 6 get on with their (largely volunteer) work.