[OT] user-management bit of web apps

Mike Whitaker mike at altrion.org
Thu Jan 31 11:09:13 GMT 2008

On 31 Jan 2008, at 10:10, asmith9983 at gmail.com wrote:

> It's a very valid point about re-inventing wheels. Does it not
> maybe highlight the wider problem of people like myself remembering
> to trawl through the volume what's already out on the web with the
> appropriate keyword for re-use, or the benefit of collective
> discussion on programming problems  ?

As I may have said on IRC a while back: TMTOWTDI. 5 of the attempts
on CPAN to do 'It', whatever it is, haven't been touched in 4 years,
one's written by Conway as a proof of concept, 3 are fundamentally
broken, 4 were written to scratch someone's personal itch and are
incomplete, 2 are in a completely different namespace, and somewhere
between 0 and 5 work just fine thanks.

Figuring out which is which is, sadly, often left as an exercise for
the reader.
--
Mike Whitaker    | Yahoo! UK Ltd - internal CMS team
mike at altrion.org | Perl developer, writer, guitarist, photographer