[OT] user-management bit of web apps

Greg McCarroll greg at mccarroll.org.uk
Thu Jan 31 14:57:50 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 02:37:24PM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:52:15AM +0100, Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:
>
> > So why people do reinvent the wheels?  For sure if they don't know
> > about the other wheels then they have no chance to use them - but
> > maybe there are other reasons?
>
> I reinvent wheels because I think I can come up with a better* one, or
> as an intellectual exercise, or because I'm being stupid.

On the last point, very often when people start out reinventing a wheel
they do so from a naive point of view. And it's probably only when they get
to the end of the invention that they can appreciate the edge
cases/difficulties in which ever problem they were tackling.

Of course being human, they now may have some level of emotional attachment
making it harder to dump their newly created wheel.

G.