Re: Traits, rôles and other repurposed terms

Jeff Anderson captvanhalen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 21:27:11 GMT 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 3:06 PM, Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> wrote:

> The [cut-n-paste option] is not a real option.

I cannot agree with that. It's brute force, but it is a perfectly
valid option. Let's say i copy this method 5 times. Now i have to make
a change. I forget and only change 4 of them. Big whoop, my tests
catch it.

Now, i did spend some extra time making 4 changes instead of just one
-- but it's simple, easy to understand. I use Perl BECAUSE i don't
have to adhere to OO. Hashes and arrays make for wonderful Lightweight
"objects" ... I have studied OO. A lot. And personally ... i am
waiting for the next best thing to come along.

Perhaps this is not the same thing, but page 32 of my OO Methods book
by Ian Graham states:

"The greatest danger with modeling roles as classes is that it can
lead to over-complex and often huge multiple inheritance structures."

I don't know ... maybe i am just more interested in getting stuff done
for $manager instead of building complex architectures -- not that
they are mutually exclusive. I just don't buy that stuff like roles
are actually going to make my job easier.

I getting pretty sick and tired of OO.

--
jeffa