views on "Catalyst" by Jonathan Rockway ?

Matt S Trout dbix-class at
Fri Feb 8 08:21:47 GMT 2008

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 07:41:12AM -0800, Ovid wrote:
> What my review *won't* be is a review of Catalyst itself.  It's a great
> framework, but implementing plugins via multiple inheritance is
> frustrating.  I actually had one developer tell me (make sure you're
> not drinking anything when you read this) "we're re-envisioning OO".
> Fortunately, Catalyst developers have realized that this doesn't work
> terribly well, so they now warn against this:
> Of course, CGI::Application uses mixins, which is hardly better due to
> ordering problems.  Sigh.  Traits are *so* much better for making stuff
> like this work:

And Moose's Role system (which is effectively 'traits on steroids') better
still. Which is likely what we'll be using in the long run - traits are all
very well but there are a fair few things you want method modifiers for.

   Technical Director