Traits, r?les and other repurposed terms

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Fri Feb 8 12:47:25 GMT 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 12:28:21PM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 02:06:16PM -0600, Jonathan Rockway wrote:
>
> > ... You can make your classes that do "equals" inherit from a
> > superclass which implements "not_equals". ... [That] is a misuse of
> > "isa"
>
> To me, that just shows that "isa" should be pronounced "inherits from"
> or "is derived from".  Or even, perish the thought, "extends" like in
> Java.

I had programmed OO in Perl for a couple of years before I realised
that the three letter name ISA actually stands for "is a". Maybe that
explains why I have no problems at all doing MI in Perl.

(Of course, "roles" is just "multiple inheritance" with a different
name. But MI is "yuck", and roles are the cool new kid on the block).

Abigail