Traits, r

Michael Lush mjlush at
Fri Feb 8 16:11:06 GMT 2008

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Adrian Howard wrote:
> On 8 Feb 2008, at 15:03, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> [snip]
>> As a tangent it surprises me how little URLs are used in comments. It seems
>> that programmers often feel the need to provide their own précis right
>> there when a link would be both less verbose in the code and more
>> informative. Maybe people are reluctant to admit their sources, or feel the
>> need to demonstrate comprehension of the subject - but the next person who
>> comes along cares little about that.
> [snip]
> Worked lots of places in my time where the interweb is not allowed...
> Adrian

... and there is no particular guarantee that the linked page will say the
same thing (or even exist) in 5 years time ( has no place in a
production environment)

Michael John Lush PhD			Tel:44-1223 492626
HUGO Gene Nomenclature Committee	Email: hgnc at
European Bioinformatics Institute
Hinxton, Cambridge