home NAS - typical on-topicedness....

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Tue Feb 12 13:42:07 GMT 2008

On 12 Feb 2008, at 13:28, Philippe Bruhat (BooK) wrote:
> I'm doing cp -al followed by rsync -avzH, did I miss something that
> would make my backups go faster?

Dunno :)

I can't picture why you're doing the cp stage. I'm using rsync to copy
into a fresh directory for each backup and telling it to compare the
new copy to the previous day's backup and make a hard link to any
files that are unchanged. The --link-dest switch to rsync is the key
to that.

As a result I have complete daily snapshots of my server for the last
month and then monthly snapshots back to the beginning of backup
history.

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten