home NAS - typical on-topicedness....

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Feb 12 14:42:29 GMT 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 02:28:56PM +0100, Philippe Bruhat (BooK) wrote:

> I'm doing cp -al followed by rsync -avzH, did I miss something that
> would make my backups go faster?

Dropping the -H will make things go faster - it eats a LOT of memory,
enough to make my backup machine (with half a gig of memory) swap like
crazy.

Also you might like to try the bleading edge version of rsync.  You'll
need it on both client and server to get the advantages.  It starts
transferring data as soon as it's found differences, instead of finding
all the differences and then transferring data in two steps.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

You don't need to spam good porn