Domain renewal question

IvorW combobulus at xemaps.com
Thu Feb 28 13:02:33 GMT 2008

I know some of you work for or have worked for ISPs and hosting
companies. I've a question which is puzzling me.

Somebody has come to me for some help with renewing some domains that
expired in January. She was ill at the time, which is why the domains
have lapsed.

Having agreed to pay the money, indeed having paid, the outfit
(registermydomain.co.uk) are saying that the domains have gone into a
redemption period, and are now wanting $$$ to renew them (refunding the
original renewal fees).

Whois is showing the status as redemptionPeriod. I've never heard of
this before. Are registermydomain pulling a fast one?

Cheers,

Ivor.