WTF? (why no alternate implemenations?)

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri Mar 7 16:19:55 GMT 2008

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 01:45:46PM +0100, Luis Motta Campos wrote:

> OK, I agree with the bit of welcoming experimentation. My complain is
> towards the way such experimentation is being published. If you look at
> Kurilla's module list on CPAN, you'll see that they're all marked as
> "UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE". Obviously, something went quite wrong during the
> upload to CPAN.

Not at all.  In fact, it went right.  "Unauthorised release" means that
the author isn't the registered maintainer of a module.  It also means
that his version doesn't get indexed.  So, you can search for "kurila"
and get straight to it, because he *is* the official maintainer of
kurila.  But if you search for, eg, ExtUtils::Constant, the "official"
version shows up and the kurila version doesn't.

> > While this is an explicit design goal of Perl 6 (and one that's
> > approached in a far more saner way), it's something that has
> > previously been difficult to achieve in Perl (anyone remember
> > "Topaz"?).  I think people being willing and able to experiment is a
> > sign of a healthy project.
> I never heard about Topaz. Anyone have interesting links at hand?

It was Chip Salzenberg's attempt to re-write perl in C++ IIRC.  Never
came to much.

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

  NANOG makes me want to unplug everything and hide under the bed
    -- brian d foy