a query

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 12:45:14 GMT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Bob Walker <bob at randomness.org.uk> wrote:
>  zimbra might be an answer.
>  http://www.zimbra.com

Between Google Apps and Zimbra I'd pick Google, having used and
admin'd (at a small scale) both.

I have encountered two main issues with Google Apps so far.  One is
that it point-blank refuses to let you get at mail it thinks is spam
via pop.

You can get it via imap and certainly via the web.  But for the
paranoid people that want to check it hasn't mis-classified a ham mail
and are setup to download their mail locally via pop they are
basically left with the periodic task of logging in via the web to
check their spam folder.  Not a common problem, but I have two users
who've grumbled about this.

Google vs your own hosted setup also can have the problem that
Google's servers have a tendency to get listed in things like sorbs
rbl.

This itself isn't a huge problem - unless the mail admin for the
person you are trying to send to has things setup to reject all email
if the sender is listed in sorbs et al, which iirc sorbs specifically
say you shouldn't do.  It's one of a number of variables you should
factor into your spam evaluation.

Zimbra imho much prefers something redhat based (vs debian) if you are
going that route.  It's not entirely sleek and svelte either if your
main objection to Exchange is bloat.