Spread [was: Books on writing distributed systems]

Steve Purkis steve at purkis.ca
Wed Mar 26 13:41:02 GMT 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 10:59, Mark Blackman wrote:

> On 25 Mar 2008, at 20:03, Simon Wistow wrote:
>> Is there any decent literature on writing systems that keep data
>> in sync
>> in a master-master/live fail over kind of way. I seem to have 3
>> projects
>> on that all have that requirements in that area.
>>
>> To be clear - I'm aware that there *is* literature out there on this
>> stuff, I'm just looking for a recommendation. At the moment I'm
>> leaning
>> towards Tannenbaum's book because, well, he rocks.
>>
>> Additionally, are there any libraries out there that generically
>> do this
>> sort of thing i.e have a binary blob of data that's kept in sync
>> between
>> n>1 machines?
>
> http://www.spreadconcepts.com/publications.html

We were considering using spread as a storage layer for Zimki last
year, but never got the chance to try it.  Has anybody had any good/
bad experiences with it?

On that - has anyone else tried Sava's Spread perl bindings?

http://www.savarese.com/software/

I've not tried them out yet, and while it isn't available on CPAN it
seems a bit more up to date & maintained than the Spread.pm I did
find on CPAN.  Unfortunately from what I can tell, they've walked
over the root namespace with packages like 'Mailbox':

http://www.savarese.com/software/SavaSpread/CHANGES

Though maybe I'm mis-reading that...

-Steve