Books on writing distributed systems

Dave Hodgkinson davehodg at
Wed Mar 26 23:44:35 GMT 2008

On 25 Mar 2008, at 21:03, Simon Wistow wrote:
> Is there any decent literature on writing systems that keep data in
> sync
> in a master-master/live fail over kind of way. I seem to have 3
> projects
> on that all have that requirements in that area.
> To be clear - I'm aware that there *is* literature out there on this
> stuff, I'm just looking for a recommendation. At the moment I'm
> leaning
> towards Tannenbaum's book because, well, he rocks.
> Additionally, are there any libraries out there that generically do
> this
> sort of thing i.e have a binary blob of data that's kept in sync
> between
> n>1 machines?

Is this anything memcached can help with? If the data is read-mostly is
can shield the db from too many hits. And of course MySQL's replication
is way ahead of Postgres'.

Dave Hodgkinson                                MSN: davehodg at
Site:                   UK: +44 7768 49020
Blog:                    NL: +31 654 982906