Random Perl ... rant

Nigel Rantor wiggly at wiggly.org
Wed Apr 2 13:09:25 BST 2008

Ovid wrote:

> 1.  Ruby is a nicer language than Perl, but the community is young and
> making silly mistakes.  Their love of modifying core classes/modules in
> incompatible ways is powerful, but hitting their scalability limits.
> Just compare newer Perl code with Perl code written only five years
> ago.  We've grown up quite a bit.  When Ruby grows up, they're going to
> be a serious contender.

I have started using ruby seriously on some stuff now rather than just
for random scripting and yes, it is most definitely nicer.

The mindset is a lot closer to mine than Perl is.

I love Perl, but after using Ruby I might not be using it for my own
projects anymore, it may become a £ only language, like Java...which is
sad (to me).

p.s. See how none of the above was ranty, just really a little melancholy?