Random Perl ... rant

Andy Wardley abw at wardley.org
Thu Apr 3 08:33:28 BST 2008

Peter Corlett wrote:
> Please Sir, where is the £££ in Perl?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm doing pretty well building web sites and
applications for various people in Perl.  In some cases I get hired because
it's a Perl job, or something that specifically requires my badger taming
skills.  In other cases, I'm providing a solution for a customer and
they couldn't care less if it's written in Perl or in ferret's blood daubed
across the freshly painted wall of the server room, just as long as it works.

Perl (and related tools: DBI, TT, etc.) are, by and large, the competitive
advantage that allow me to develop solutions better, stronger and faster than
the next guy who's struggling with PHP or a bondage-based Java framework.