Random Perl ... rant

Dean Wilson dwilson at unixdaemon.net
Thu Apr 3 12:34:56 BST 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 12:13:39PM +0100, Dave Cross wrote:

> (actually there are two things that I don't see changing anytime soon
> - Windows becoming an operating system I'm happy to develop on or
> Visual Studio becoming available on one of the the OSes I like).

How much of your view of not liking Windows to develop on is because of
a toolchain that, if you embraced The Windows Way fully, you wouldn't
need to use anymore? I think it's the change in approach (the Unix way of
lots of little tools vs MS Stack in a single app) rather than the tools
that gets most people.

Although saying that the ability to single step debug from windows
forms, to an ASP.NET app in IIS down to the SQL Server stored procedure
in a single integrated window does rock. These days I'm just happy to find
things that log to files.

> People have already mentioned PerlySense, Komodo and
> Eclipse/EPIC (all of which work on more platforms than Visual Studio).

I've tried to use them all at one point or another and they just feel like
second class bolt ons compared to using Visual Studio or IntelliJ.

Then again a shell that's not sh or bash drives me nuts so I work in Linux
these days.

  Dean
--
Dean Wilson             http://www.unixdaemon.net
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand