Random Perl ... rant

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Apr 3 14:02:31 BST 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 12:34:56PM +0100, Dean Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 12:13:39PM +0100, Dave Cross wrote:
> > (actually there are two things that I don't see changing anytime soon
> > - Windows becoming an operating system I'm happy to develop on or
> > Visual Studio becoming available on one of the the OSes I like).
> How much of your view of not liking Windows to develop on is because of
> a toolchain ...

I don't like Windows to develop on because I have no other reason to use
Windows, and so it seems like a waste of effort to learn enough to use
Windows effectively just so that I can develop code on it effectively.
Visual Studio would need to be pretty fucking spectacular to get over
that hump.  It would no doubt not need to be so spectacular for you, as
you're more used to Windows than I am.

> Although saying that the ability to single step debug from windows
> forms, to an ASP.NET app in IIS down to the SQL Server stored procedure
> in a single integrated window does rock.

Yes, it would.  It's vanishingly rare that I would find that useful,
though.  Almost all bugs I write are typos that get caught by strict
and/or warnings, or algorithm errors such as getting an if() the wrong
way round.  And these days I try to develop in such a way that I can
really quickly zoom in on the bug - it has to be in the last ten lines
of code I wrote, for example.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

PLEASE NOTE: This message was meant to offend everyone equally,
regardless of race, creed, sexual orientation, politics, choice
of beer, operating system, mode of transport, or their editor.