Random Perl ... rant

Peter Hickman peter.hickman at semantico.com
Thu Apr 3 16:27:06 BST 2008

Iain Barnett wrote:
> On 3 Apr 2008, at 11:34 am, Peter Hickman wrote:
>> I have a deep seated fear of languages that can't be worked from the
>> command line and vi.
> I run all my C#.Net builds from the command line - using perl scripts
> (and some modules I hope to get on CPAN at some time).

I found that nant worked fine for both mono and the MS toolchain

>> Debuggers are too tedious to be useful.  Again, I don't think it's a
>> coincidence that most of the best programmers use "print" instead of
>> single-stepping.
> I really can't believe anyone wrote this. That is the slowest and most
> tedious way to debug there is. Completely innefficient, and a last
> resort.

I would agree with this, the code path in Java applications can be all
over the place that the best way to debug is place a break point where
you know the code does get to and follow it from there. I would never
debug Java with print statements. Having said that the sort of problems
I get with Java demand that I debug things, with Perl a few well placed
print/Data::Dumper usually does the trick.

Of course putting Log4J(P) all over the place when you develop the code
simplifies things no end. Yayy for Log4J(P)!!!1!11

Peter Hickman.

Semantico, Lees House, 21-23 Dyke Road, Brighton BN1 3FE
t: 01273 358223
f: 01273 723232
e: peter.hickman at semantico.com
w: www.semantico.com