Random Perl ... rant

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Thu Apr 3 18:23:59 BST 2008

* On Thu, Apr 03 2008, Dean Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 08:14:57AM -0500, Jonathan Rockway wrote:
>> I'll add to this that I don't think it's a coincidence that most of the
>> best programmers choose tools other than Windows and Visual Studio.
>
> I've heard that before (from DDH about macs) and it's always irked
> me - so prove your statement.

This isn't a proof so much as an interesting exercise.  Go find your
favorite CPAN modules, then ask the author what editor they use.  I
doubt anything other than vi(m), emacs, and textmate will come up.  If
you ask in the Ruby, C, haskell, or lisp communities you will probably
get similar results.  (Java people tend to use NetBeans or Eclipse for
the same reason that Lisp people use emacs.  They can extend it in their
native language.)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway