Better Perl

Jonathan Stowe jns at gellyfish.com
Fri Apr 4 10:18:50 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 10:00 +0100, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> On 04/04/2008, Jonathan Tweed <jonathan at tweed.name> wrote:
> > > Perl still isn't dead, it's still kicking, and it will be around for a
> > > while.
> >  Just like COBOL.
>
> There really isn't any comparison.
>
> How many people are teaching themselves COBOL, how many people are
> building startups on COBOL, how many new open source projects were
> written or released in COBOL this year?

That isn't a good comparison either - remember what the 'B' in COBOL
stands for.

Also people keep mentioning "startups" in this thread and it is annoying
me, what has "startups" got to do with anything? There are a lot of
startups that don't use computers at all for their core business - like
ice cream shops and coffee bars and cleaning companies, except what
people mean by startups in this thread are crappy little web sites full
of vacuous ideas and rounded corners with no business plan, I don't
believe that is a clear indicator of anything - personally I'd rather
they'd all fuck off and do their stuff in PHP or whatever is fashionable
today and let the rest of us get on with writing code for businesses
that know what they are doing.

/J\
--
Winners don't do de-tox