Better Perl

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Fri Apr 4 11:07:06 BST 2008

On 4/4/08, Jonathan Stowe <jns at gellyfish.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 10:00 +0100, Aaron Trevena wrote:
>  > On 04/04/2008, Jonathan Tweed <jonathan at tweed.name> wrote:
>  > > > Perl still isn't dead, it's still kicking, and it will be around for a
>  > > > while.
>  > >  Just like COBOL.
>  >
>  > There really isn't any comparison.
>  >
>  > How many people are teaching themselves COBOL, how many people are
>  > building startups on COBOL, how many new open source projects were
>  > written or released in COBOL this year?
>

> That isn't a good comparison either - remember what the 'B' in COBOL
>  stands for.
>
>  Also people keep mentioning "startups" in this thread and it is annoying
>  me, what has "startups" got to do with anything? There are a lot of
>  startups that don't use computers at all for their core business - like
>  ice cream shops and coffee bars and cleaning companies, except what
>  people mean by startups in this thread are crappy little web sites full
>  of vacuous ideas and rounded corners with no business plan, I don't
>  believe that is a clear indicator of anything - personally I'd rather
>  they'd all fuck off and do their stuff in PHP

You mean like facebook? (PHP)

Or Wikipedia? (PHP)
Or Digg? (PHP)
Or Youtube? (Py)
Or Bebo? (ASP)
Or MySpace? (ASP)
Or Orkut? (was ASP)
Or match.com? (ASP)
Or *.google.com? (Java, C++, Py)
Or about any other multi-box site you care to mention? (!Perl)

LiveJournal, Typepad do use Perl. Anyone else??

>  or whatever is fashionable
>  today and let the rest of us get on with writing code for businesses
>  that know what they are doing.

Any perl businesses with multi-<s>billion</s> million, even, dollar valuations?

Morgan Stanley doesn't count :-)