Better Perl

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 11:23:01 BST 2008

On 04/04/2008, Paul Makepeace <paulm at paulm.com> wrote:
> You mean like facebook? (PHP)
>  Or Wikipedia? (PHP)
>  Or Digg? (PHP)
>  Or Youtube? (Py)
>  Or Bebo? (ASP)
>  Or MySpace? (ASP)
>  Or Orkut? (was ASP)
>  Or match.com? (ASP)
>  Or *.google.com? (Java, C++, Py)
>  Or about any other multi-box site you care to mention? (!Perl)

How many of those still use Perl for cinderella jobs ?

Yahoo and Google (and the many companies they have swallowed like
overture, doubleclick, etc) still use a lot of perl to keep everything
together.

Nearly all the big/popular Rails and PHP rely on stuff like Perlbal,
Memcached, Mogile, etc to keep running.

>  LiveJournal, Typepad do use Perl. Anyone else??

ITN, Guardian, NY Times, Salon, Last.fm, craigslist, gumtree, and the
stalwarts of mod_perl like BBC, TicketMaster, etc.

> Any perl businesses with multi-<s>billion</s> million, even, dollar valuations?
>
>  Morgan Stanley doesn't count :-)

Excluding banks rules out Credit Suise, Barclays Global Capital, etc,
I suppose you want to exclude all Finance Companies too.

I believe Livejournal has been sold to a russian outfit for millions
of dollars relatively recently. 1 million USD is not far over 1/2
million stirling, there are a LOT of companies using perl that far
excede that valuation, heck I imagine only a small proportion are
worth less.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk