Better Perl

Jonathan Tweed jonathan at tweed.name
Sun Apr 6 12:50:15 BST 2008

On 4 Apr 2008, at 14:41, Aaron Trevena wrote:

> On 04/04/2008, Jonathan Tweed <jonathan at tweed.name> wrote:
>> On 4 Apr 2008, at 11:23, "Aaron Trevena" <aaron.trevena at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> BBC
>>
>> Moving to Java and PHP.
>
> Right. Have you read the reason's behind 'Perl on Rails', the BBC
> isn't replacing Perl with Java or PHP. Seriously, check your facts.

I work for the BBC on a core internal system written in Perl for
aggregating programme metadata for multiplatform distribution. Not
surprisingly one of our major clients is the team that makes /
programmes.

I am therefore very familiar with the reasons "Perl on Rails" (that's
not what's it's called internally) was written and the arguments as to
why it should never have been written. I have even made a small
contribution to that project directly.

The BBC is making a move towards Java for backend services and PHP for
page assembly. This has already been discussed publicly:

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/?p=552

Cheers
Jonathan