Top 10 perl books

Abigail abigail at
Wed Apr 23 21:55:27 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 07:57:20PM +0100, Johan Lindstr?m wrote:
> foreach iterates over a list, map transforms a list.

Wrong. Map leaves the list as is - although it's able to alter its elements
because of the aliasing behaviour of $_ - but for has that ability as well.

> At 18:39 2008-04-23, Frank v Waveren wrote:
> >foreach runs a procedure and map runs a function.
> I like that one.

Well, foreach runs a block, and one flavour of map does so as well.
The other flavour runs an expression.

I'd say, 'foreach' is a statement, 'map' is an expression.