Flash! Ahaaa! He saved every one of us...

Andy Wardley abw at wardley.org
Tue May 6 11:21:51 BST 2008

Lyle wrote:
> If you've got javascript turned on it's flash the first time you visit.
> Then a png after that, until 24 hours later when you get to see the
> flash once again. The site is still an early draft and subject to much
> change.

Hmm, strange.  It was definitely a .png the first time I looked.  I just
tried again, and then I got the flash.  Now I just get the .png again.

(looks at source).

Ah yes, your code is subtly broken.  You've got a race condition.
You do this in the main document:

   document.write(input)

But this can be (and in my case probably was) executed before your
js/cookie.js has finished loading, executing and defining the input
variable.

You should look at using something like jQuery for things like this.

   <!-- define an empty header -->

   <!-- load jQuery library -->
   <script type="text/javascript" src="jquery.js"></script>

   <!-- define a function to replace the header content when the
        document has finished loading -->
   <script type="text/javascript">
     $(document).ready( function() {
       $('#header').html(input);