Seriously, WTF?

Iain Barnett iainspeed at
Wed May 7 11:20:39 BST 2008

On 6 May 2008, at 3:14 am, Toby Corkindale wrote:
> 2)
> MySQL's 'REPLACE INTO' command. What were they thinking?
> I suppose it seemed like a good idea at the time, but try this at
> home kids:
> create table A. Create table B which has a foreign key into table
> A, with 'on
> delete cascade' set. Nowever do a REPLACE INTO table A for an
> existing row..
> Note that table B has now deleted all related rows. Wonderful!

One good reason to never cascade deletes, but control them yourself.
Control Freaks Rule! :)

> (I've been having to work with MySQL for over a year now and it
> STILL keeps
> coming up with new ways to fall to pieces when I least expect it..

That's because it wasn't designed to be an ACID or SQL compliant
database. I'm sure that's why it's faster than most - it doesn't need
to check anything before doing it, and that's probably why it's so
much better than Postgres at replication, it's just a file copy! ;)

Hates mySQL