Seriously, WTF?

Nic Gibson nicg at
Thu May 8 09:38:27 BST 2008

2008/5/7 Simon Wilcox <essuu at>:

> I know I shouldn't feed a troll but...
> Iain Barnett wrote:
> > (I've been having to work with MySQL for over a year now and it STILL
> > > keeps
> > > coming up with new ways to fall to pieces when I least expect it..
> > >

> > That's because it wasn't designed to be an ACID or SQL compliant
> > database.
> >
> It's had ACID compliance since the last century:

This is good - I've got from hating mysql in its entirety to hating specific
things about it and thinking it's relatively usable these days.

> <>
>  I'm sure that's why it's faster than most - it doesn't need to check
> > anything before doing it, and that's probably why it's so much better than
> > Postgres at replication, it's just a file copy! ;)
> >
> It's not but then I suspect you knew that.
>  Iain
> > Hates mySQL
> >
> You're hating the wrong thing. Whilst there are plenty of reasons to hate
> MySQL, I'd rather direct my hate at PostgreSQL which has consistently failed
> to provide a decent replication system thus handing the game to MySQL.

Has anyone tried Command Prompt's non free replication? Or PGCluster?
I'm a big non-fan of Slony-I but it *does* have a reasonable history. I've
tried and failed with Slony more than once.

Is the issue that Pg replication is not a part of Pg or are the solutions no
There's always EnterpriseDB's variant (although that's very much non-free)
and I've never touched it.

(happy PostgreSQL user bar the bloody replication issues)

Nic Gibson
Director, Corbas Consulting
Editorial and Technical Consultancy